Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Brandee's Bookish Babble #34 ~ Are We More Forgiving with Favorite Authors?


Welcome to Brandee's Bookish Babble. There are many, many similar posts to this one - but basically I wanted a place to discuss bookish and/or blogging stuff and I needed a title. :) 


***
Before I start, I just want to preface this with the qualification that with this post, I'm referring to indie authors. 

I recently read a book by an author that was recommended by a friend. In fact, it's a favorite author of this friend. While I was reading, I kept finding editing errors. This is just something that I'm particularly sensitive to - I don't even read the newspaper anymore because I can't handle the editing mistakes. Now I know none of us are perfect - I find editing issues in my own writing as well - but finding these mistakes got me to wondering. Are we more forgiving of such things with our favorite authors?

I'm leaning towards YES in my case. Several of my favorite authors are indie and while I know they use an editor - I've even met one's editor - I still find editing errors. But I don't mind too much even if I'm temporarily removed from the flow of the story - because the story is so good! It's compelling and emotional so I'm easily pulled right back in. The book that started my pondering...it was a good story as well but I think that since it was an author I was unfamiliar with I was a little less forgiving. It took me a little longer to re-engage because I don't yet have that trust built with the author. But I could see myself getting there with this one. ;)

Anyway, what about y'all? Are you more forgiving of editing issues when it's a favorite author?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??