Monday, December 3, 2012

The Proposition


The Proposition
Title: The Proposition
Sequel: The Proposal due in January 5, 2013
Author: Katie Ashley

From GoodReads:
With her thirtieth birthday looming, Emma Harrison finds her biological clock clanging and the elusive knight in shining armor yet to appear. She’s running out of options, especially after her gay best friend backs out from being her sperm donor. Of course, there’s always a sperm bank, but Emma fears a donor mix-up might impregnate her with the spawn of Satan.

Resident company womanizer, Aidan Fitzgerald, is used to always getting what he wants, especially in the bedroom. When Emma spurns his advances at the company Christmas party, he's determined to have her no matter what it takes. After Aidan learns of Emma's predicament, he is quick to offer a proposition that will benefit them both. He will father Emma's child, but she must conceive it with him naturally. Not one for hook-ups or casual sex, Emma is reluctant to take him up on his offer, but his charm, coupled with her intense desire for motherhood, wins out.

Soon their baby-making sessions become more than just physical. Aidan can't seem to walk away from her while Emma begins to wonder if Aidan could be the one. But can Aidan leave his past behind to become the man Emma needs him to be?

*********************

Ah, The Proposition...what to say about this book...I'm kinda torn. I really liked it. Ms. Ashley created an interesting, if not original, plot along with some great characters. Even the cast of supporting characters was great...and y’all know I love a great supporting cast. I love Aidan’s Dad and Emma’s Granddaddy. It was amusing to see the families behind Emma and Aidan’s personas. I enjoyed getting to know Emma and Aidan and watching them go from business proposition to committed relationship. I am invested enough in them to be looking forward to their next book. I laughed, cried, got angry right along with both characters. I actually spoke aloud to Emma and Aidan at times when their actions pissed me off! =) All signs of a good book...

However, I had some issues. Although in some ways I couldn’t understand Emma’s intense desire for a baby when she’s only 30, it was believable that after all the sadness she’s endured, she’d want the happiness of bringing new life into the world. I also liked the fact that Emma was a strong, confident woman...except when she wasn’t. One minute, she’s giddy with excitement over her relationship with Aidan...the next she’s fuming over him being a selfish ass.

And I could also believe that Aidan would propose such an outlandish deal in order to get what he wanted. Even though Aidan is a cocky player and has a reputation, I felt as though Ms. Ashley had given me some insight into his character. I knew that deep down, Aidan might be ready to settle down. So it wasn’t so shocking that he wanted more out of the relationship. And he was so gung-ho about having more with Emma...except when he wasn’t.

As their relationship grows, I understood Emma’s reluctance to intertwine Aidan into her life and their baby’s life when she had doubts about his ability to commit. Aidan’s indecision was irritating.

But now that I’m writing this and thinking through it, I can see that as humans, we all have insecurities. So despite being drawn as strong and confident characters, there would be underlying feelings of self doubt. So I get that. 
When Emma and Aidan were right, they were soooo right. I could feel their passion and angst. They have the makings for a strong relationship even though it wasn't traditional from the start.
Ugh! It sounds like I didn’t like this book. And that’s not it at all. I truly did enjoy the book despite my issues - perhaps because of their flaws. I will read The Proposal. I look forward to seeing how Emma and Aidan’s relationship progresses...or not. It will definitely be fascinating!


3 comments:

  1. I've been noticing this book around and wondering if I would like it. I always have to remind myself that "characters are people, too". Glad you liked this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading this book yesterday and have similar feelings. I really liked it, but at times the dialogue felt stilted. Also, the character behavior sometimes gave me pause. Overall, I think I'll be giving it 3.5/4 stars. I'm already on to The Proposal.

    Great review!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Meg! I can't believe you dug into my archives to comment on this review - but I appreciate it lots!! :) I'm glad to know you felt similarly because I felt kinda weird not loving it quite as much as every one else. I'm definitely going to read the others in the series and I'd read more of Katie - I guess for whatever reason, I just didn't quite connect with the characters. Anyway, thanks again for commenting! :)

      Delete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??