Wednesday, September 7, 2016

#ShelfLove Discussion ~ Be Kind to Writers Month ~ A Letter to Kristen Ashley (@KristenAshley68)

Bookworm Brandee

As part of the #ShelfLove Challenge, we have monthly discussion topics. September's topic is Be Kind to Writers.  


***
I have to tell y'all that I wrote the following after I'd finished reading Breathe, the 4th book in the Colorado Mountain series. It was part of my review. And then I sat down to organize posts for this month and realized this portion of my review fit perfectly with this month's #ShelfLove discussion topic. Of course, there are so many, many authors that I'd love to give shout-outs to but Kristen Ashley is getting some extra love because...well, you'll see. :)

Dear Kristen, 

I started reading Breathe the week I was taking my daughter to college. I chose to read you for a reason. I needed the comfort one of your books provides. And you delivered again. Honestly, it's one of the reasons I've been making a point to read (and re-read) at least one of your books every month...it's comforting. Your stories are like a security blanket for me. And with the emotional upheaval I was experiencing right then - having my first baby leave the nest - Breathe was exactly what I needed. You have a "formula" - so I know my hero and heroine are going to get their HEA but not before experiencing some bumps. Or major obstacles. I know there's going to be an element of suspense. And I know I may not always immediately love the hero but he'll eventually win me over. I know there is always an undercurrent of female solidarity - strong female friendships - a foundation that our heroine's life is built on. You always give me a robust cast of characters that bring to life the town and the people I'm spending time with. And even though there's a "formula", I *know* you will give me an unforgettable story - something I'm not expecting. The story will be complex and compelling, rich and textured. It will make my pulse pound, have me gasping, swooning, crying, laughing. And all the while, I'll be captivated by the entire cast as well as thoroughly entertained. So it doesn't matter which of your stories I choose, because with each and every one I get something new and unique. Every. Time. And it's comforting to know what to expect and that my expectations will always be met. Always.

This is all to say that I found a home in your stories. I found girlfriends who will have my back, along with their guys. I fell in love with your writing - your story telling, your incredible characters, some of whom live in my state, in my town. The people that inhabit your books are all my friends and I can rest easy knowing I can count on them to always be there for me. And I wanted to let you know I'm grateful because I needed them to be a shoulder to lean on and they, you didn't let me down. I thank you.

Sincerely (& Rock on!)
Bookworm Brandee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??